Did you know November 11-15th was National Young Readers week? What better reason to spend this month motivating kids to become inspired readers and expressing our thanks for writers, authors and timeless stories.If you have a child who needs encouragement to read we have a few tips to make reading enjoyable – and hopefully creating a life long passion for books.
9 Ways to Make Reading Enjoyable for Kids
- Be on the lookout for things your child may be interested in – base them off their interest and hobbies.
- Let your children see you reading!
- Begin reading to your children at a young age – it’s never too early.
- Allow kids to choose their own books.
- Take trips to the library.
- Designate a time for reading for the entire family. Perhaps before lights out ( a great way to get kids to wind down!), after dinner or even on the way to school.
- Give the kids a special place to keep their books.
- Extend the reading experience! If your child is interested in books about elephants take them to the zoo.
- Follow up their favorite book with the movie based on the story!
Netflix has tons of timeless classics for kids of all ages like The Velveteen Rabbit and The Little Engine That Could. Encourage your super sleuth or thrill junkie with movies like Goosebumps. Or introduce your child to favorite characters you grew up with, like Kristy and Claudia of The Babysitters Club or Tia and Tony from Escape to Witch Mountain.
- Escape to Witch Mountain NEW!
- James and the Giant Peach
- The Baby-Sitters Club
- A Wrinkle in Time