Did you know that October is Bullying Prevention Month? Each October, schools, businesses and organizations across the US observe National Bullying Prevention Month. The goal is to encourage parents, student and educators to worth together to end bullying in all it’s forms by increasing awareness. Whether you’re young or old, in school or not the majority of people have encountered bullying.
Netflix is joining the cause by offering a variety of ways to start the conversation about bullying with your children. In addition to this fun DIY Super Hero Magnet Craft, if your kids are a little older this Sharpie Tie-Dye Pillow or Tote Bag craft may be better suited.
12” or 18” pillow insert (available at Walmart)
Light-colored, cotton tote bag (available at craft stores)
Sharpie colored markers
Paper letter stencils
Piece of cardboard or wood
Access to computer and printer
Step by Step Instructions:
- Choose an empowering quote and print it out in block font.
- Cut out individual letters to be used as stencils.
- Place them on the pillow insert or tote bag.
- Play with spacing then attach to the fabric with straight pins.
- (For the Tote Bag Only)Place a piece of cardboard or wood inside of it to prevent the ink from penetrating to the backside.
- Begin with one corner of your pillow insert or tote bag and draw small designs, such as circles, shapes and flowers with colored Sharpie markers
- Fill the eyedropper with rubbing alcohol and begin placing one drop at a time on your design.
- The rubbing alcohol will smear the Sharpie ink.
- The more alcohol drops you use, the bigger the smear. Use the tip of your eyedropper to help push the ink on the fabric to fill in your design.
- Complete small areas at a time.
- Continue drawing on the rest of your pillow and placing alcohol drops on the ink as you go.
- When complete, trace the outline of your letters – do not use alcohol on your letter outlines.
- Remove the pins.
- Color in letters with colored Sharpies.
- Let your pillow or tote bag dry overnight.
Netflix has 5 movies for preteens and teens to aid the bullying discussion:
There are also 6 fun titles for younger kids:
- Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
- Justice League Unlimited
- Ben 10: Alien Force
These movies can be used as a spring board for discussions with your child. Perhaps talk about the importance of standing up and speaking out, respecting your self worth, knowing your value and making friends with others.