When I think of quitting smoking the health risk come to mind – lung cancer, stroke, high blood pressure, heart attack, emphysema, and heart disease just to name a few. Then there are the hygiene issues yellow teeth,tooth decay, stained fingers, and smell. What really gets me is the cost. According to the New York Times the national average is about 14% of smokers’ incomes spent on cigarettes — that’s about one-seventh of total income.
The lowest average price per pack was $4.02, in Missouri and the highest was New York at $10.14. So lets average it out to $7.08. Doing just some quick math someone who smokes a half a pack a day spends $1,292.10 annually. Bump it up to a pack a day and you’re spending $2,584.20 a year. Over the course of 10 years thats $25,842.
Umm, HELLO?! That’s a decent car paid in cash. You could get a brand new car every 10 years. Thats between 1 and 2 years of your children’s college tuition. $2,584 can buy you a pretty nice yearly vacation. Can you imagine if you managed to save over $25,000 every ten years? How early could you retire? It’s mind boggling really. But aside from the price of cigarettes there are so many hidden cost associated with smoking. Lets take a look at a few.
- Health Insurance: Because smokers have greater risk of medical problems they have higher medical insurance premium payments. Furthermore, many work places will no longer pay health insurance premiums for workers who smoke.
- Life Insurance: Smokers tend to die at a younger age so life insurance premiums are higher.
- Home Owner’s Insurance: Smokers have a greater risk of burning down their house than non smokers and this risk is reflected in higher home owner’s insurance premium payments.
- Car Resale Value: Smoking stinks and the smell isn’t exclusive to the smoker. The smell lingers on your clothes and car. This results in a lower resale value. It also tends to stick to the walls of your home and can do the same thing.
- Dental Care: Smokers spend more on dental care and special dental products than non smokers.
If your like most of our readers you’re looking to save money (I mean we are called Deals4Dummies) so why throw away SO much of it on cigarettes? I know, quitting is hard. But there are products to help, one of the hottest products on the market today is electronic cigarettes. If you have ever thought about electronic cigarettes check out this V2 Cigs Review on ecigarettereviewed.com. They offer the largest selection of reviews for electronic cigarette products. I was amazed at all of the 4 and 5 star reviews left in the comments by actual costumers.
I know, there is something about the word “electronic” that can put you off. But the V2 brand offers a bunch of realistic options including: 4 nicotine options, 3 tobaco blends and 7 flavors. They also have everything you need to get started in handy kits. The V2 Standard Kit comes with an automatic and a manual battery, USB Smart Charger, wall adapter and ten flavor cartridges. The Ultimate Starter Kit offers 25 cartridges, a car charger, a USB-powered battery, another battery, a metal carry case, a portable charging case and a lanyard.
If you’re ready to kick that cigarette habit to the curb, then you’ll want to enter the V2 Cigs Giveaway. http://ecigarettereviewed.com is hosting a V2 Cigs “Express Yourself” Giveaway, giving away 50 total V2 Cigs Express Kits + V2 10-Flavor Sampler. There will be 10 winners announced every week (for the first three weeks) and 20 winners announced on the last week.
You can also enter just by using the easy form below. Good luck and be sure to share this giveaway with your friends!
This post brought to you by V2 Cigs however, all opinions are my own.