Aside from the health risks and costs of smoking cigarettes, have you ever considered the financial costs? According to the New York Times the national average is about 14% of smokers’ incomes are spent on cigarettes — that’s about one-seventh of total income.
The lowest average price per pack was $4.02 in Missouri and the highest was New York at $10.14. So lets average it out to $7.08. Doing just some quick math, someone who smokes a half a pack a day, spends $1,292.10 annually. Bump it up to a pack a day and you’re spending $2,584.20 a year. Over the course of 10 years thats $25,842.
Umm, HELLO?! That’s a decent car paid in cash. You could get a brand new car every 10 years. Thats between 1 and 2 years of your children’s college tuition. $2,584 can buy you a pretty nice yearly vacation. Can you imagine if you managed to save over $25,000 every ten years? How early could you retire? It’s mind boggling really. But aside from the price of cigarettes there are so many hidden cost associated with smoking:
- Health Insurance: Because smokers have greater risk of medical problems they have higher medical insurance premium payments. Furthermore, many work places will no longer pay health insurance premiums for workers who smoke.
- Life Insurance: Smokers tend to die at a younger age so life insurance premiums are higher.
- Home Owner’s Insurance: Smokers have a greater risk of burning down their house than non smokers and this risk is reflected in higher home owner’s insurance premium payments.
- Car Resale Value: Smoking stinks and the smell isn’t exclusive to the smoker. The smell lingers on your clothes and car. This results in a lower resale value. It also tends to stick to the walls of your home and can do the same thing.
- Dental Care: Smokers spend more on dental care and special dental products than non smokers.
If you’re like most of our readers you’re looking to save money (I mean we are called Deals4Dummies) so why throw away SO much of it on cigarettes? I know, quitting is hard. But there are products to help, and one of the hottest products on the market today is electronic cigarettes. If you have ever thought about electronic cigarettes, be sure to check out the v2 cigs review. They offer the largest selection of reviews for electronic cigarette products. I was amazed at all of the 4 and 5 star reviews left in the comments by actual costumers.
Great news – V2 Cigs is having a 20% off storewide sale from April 26th until the 29th. Yes, with v2 cigs coupons, you can save a total of 32% on V2 starter kits (plus free shipping). Just use the ecigarettereviewed.com 15% off coupon code “ECR15KITS” at checkout.
So what are you waiting for? Unload all of the baggage associated with smoking, and start putting money back into your pocket.
This post brought to you by V2 Cigs however, all opinions are my own.