Who has a little boy on their Christmas shopping list? Actually the toy I’m going to tell you about is perfect for girls too so keep reading to learn more about our experience with the Koosh Galaxy Solar Recon Launcher. From the makers of Nerf toys, comes the Koosh Galaxy Solar Recon, a ball launcher designed for kids ages 4 and up.
*Warning* this toy requires assembly, but its so easy a kid could put it together. All you need to do before playing for the first time: insert 3 AA batteries in the battery compartment, (which are not included + a Philips screwdriver is required to open cover), snap on the ball loader, load Koosh balls and it’s ready to launch! I let our daughter age 4, son age 2 and husband test drive the toy, while I dodged and chased down the balls.
After loading and launching a few times, my husband reluctantly offered the kids a turn. Note to self, I could totally buy him one of these for Christmas and he would be content. Our daughter, age 4, had no problem loading and launching on her own, but needed some practice to learn how to aim. My son, loved it even when he was the one chasing the balls or watching. He’d alternate between laughing and clapping his hands! When it was his turn, he needed help with firing it (it takes a little force to rack the slide, but his big sister liked helping him, and we liked watching them work as a team.
My final verdict: Let me start by saying, my kids don’t own any toy guns, even water guns. We feel like they are too young to understand the difference between a pretend weapon and a real weapon, and I want to prevent any confusion. So one of my favorite things about the Koosh Galaxy ball launcher, is that it doesn’t resemble a “real gun” in appearance, nor does it fire anything that looks like ammunition. For me, the Koosh Galaxy Solar Recon is a great compromise to a toy gun. We taught the kids this isn’t to be used as a weapon, but can be used for games, as well as not to aim it at people. (especially each other)
- Powers down when not in use, powers back on when you touch the trigger handle.
- It will fire with or without batteries, so if they die or you don’t like sound effects this is a bonus!
- Balls glow in the dark
- Sound effects and glowing LEDs are cool
- Launched balls travel a fair distance, but don’t hurt much if they hit you unless hit at extremely close range (but I’d avoid taking a hit in the face)
- Replacement or additional balls are available to purchase
- If not loaded properly the gun will jam
- Only comes with four balls and they roll really well, so you’ll spend time chasing them (this is a pro for us because my toddlers get lots of exercise and have fun chasing the balls down for each other)