I’ve always been a book worm. When I was in grade school, I would read a book a night (no joke). I just couldn’t get enough of reading. I carried that love through to adulthood and used to read a few chapters each night in bed…that is, until little Whistler came along. Seems I never get a chance to read nowadays :)
I always said that I wouldn’t like a digital ereader because I was too “old school”. I like feeling a paper book in my hands, turning the pages, earmarking where I left off… an electronic reader just held no intrigue for me. But after seeing how much Ben’s dad loves the Kindle we bought for him for Christmas last year, and playing with it for the few moments I can pry it from his grasp, I began to think to myself “I think I might like one of those”.
When I heard there was a new ereader in town, The Literati by The Sharper Image, my eyes and ears perked up. The fact that it’s screen is in full COLOR is really what piqued my interest. I was lucky enough to be sent one to review and share with you.
The Literati comes packaged in a HUGE faux “book” box (which, in my opinion, could have easily been made to be about 1/3 the size to help be a bit more eco-friendly!) and INCLUDES a protective case. I was excited that I would not have to purchase a case for the reader, but I would recommend airing it out for a couple days before using it. (I found it to have a pretty strong chemical odor)
- * The Literati is one of the few color eReaders and has a 7” color LCD screen (480 x 800 resolution).
- * Has a built in connection to Kobo, a global eReading service platform with access to nearly 2 million titles of books and magazines and (1.8 million of them free). Comes preloaded with 25 treasured classics and provides easy access to another 125 of our favorite free classics.
- * SD card slot allows users to add storage (up to 8GB).
- * Newly added ability to read and subscribe to magazines and newspapers.
It comes with a quick start guide, a more detailed printed manual and a pre-loaded user guide found under the About Menu. The instructions say to charge for “at least 6 hours” and immediately warns against over-charging. This was a bit comical because it does not say what the max charge time is – I mean if I left it plugged in for 7 hours, is that overcharging?
After some usage, I have come up with some pros and cons based on my personal experience with The Literati.
- Color screen
- Page turning is very quick with no noticeable lag (There are both forward and backward turn buttons on either side of the unit for both right and left handed users)
- Has QWERTY keyboard and Wi-Fi connection
- Font typeface and size can be changed to suit your preference
- Screen brightness can be adjusted
- Your spot in any book is always auto-saved so it returns to the correct page when you re-open it later (even on a different platform like your laptop or mobile phone)
- Accepts PDFs that can be loaded via USB cable by drag/drop from your computer or through the SD card slot
- You can purchase books thru Kobo directly on the reader or on your laptop
- Currently has 3 viewing themes – default (black words on a white background), sepia (brown words on a grayish white background) and night reading (white words on a black background).
The night reading mode is great because you can read next to your lightly snoring partner and not wake them up with your brightly shining white screen. However, it would have been nice of them to backlight the QWERTY keyboard because you really can’t see a thing and it’s useless in the dark. There was no way I could have tried to browse the store or really do anything but flip pages in the dark because the keys are impossible to see.
- Start-up time is a bit lengthy at about 1 minute
- QWERTY keyboard is not backlit
- Navigating thru the store on the screen can get frustrating at times. Not only is it slow and not intuitive (you think you should press left/right to move the cursor, but really it wants you to press up/down), but very difficult to tell where you are at. Some items highlight when you are “on” them and others do not so you have to guess.
- No 3G connection so can’t really get new books in the fly without a Wi-Fi connection
- Only a vague idea of battery life via the visual battery bar in the upper left corner. Would be nice to be able to check actual percentage full and estimated time left. For instance, I see that the battery looks to be about half full, but I have no clue if that will last me 2 hours or 5 minutes.
Not having owned any other ereader, I don’t really have anything to compare The Literati to – these are just some observations based on personal opinions of how I think a product like this should function and respond.
I think the ability to also transfer PDF files onto the unit really makes this ereader that much more useful. If you have work to review, presentations to view, spreadsheets to refer to, you can easily use your Literati as a mini-laptop or reference guide just by saving those documents as PDFs.
Since it has a color screen, you can also do the same with your favorite photographs and make a photo album to always have with you as well!
I’ve also transferred a PDF copy of my flight itinerary and boarding pass for our flight to Seattle onto the Literati! This way, I don’t have to worry if I lose the paper! (pretty cool idea, eh?)
Purchasing books is super easy as well, whether you complete the transaction using The Literati or you do so using your laptop. I tried both ways and had no problems. Here is a *TIP* – Go here to create your free Kobo account FIRST so you can get a 35% off coupon :) Then log on with your reader and use the promo code at checkout :) I got a $6.29 book for only $4.09 this way.
My overall opinion of The Literati is very favorable. Despite the minor observances I’ve listed above, I’ve really enjoyed using this ereader and have already promised to give myself back a few minutes each evening by escaping into a good book for a few minutes before bed. With the kiddo and Ben always going to bed before I do, this would not be possible without this nifty gadget and it definitely gets 2 thumbs up from me!
The Literati Wireless Reader is available in White or Black and normally retails for $199.99 but you can score it on Amazon right now for only $128.92 with FREE shipping! If you’d rather pick it up in person, Macy’s and Bed Bath & Beyond offer great deals on the Literati Reader, making it easy to pick them up while you are checking off the other items on your holiday shopping list.
The super cool folks over at The Sharper Image would like to give one very lucky Crazy Coupon Mommy reader the chance to win a Literati of their own!
***NOTE*** This giveaway is open to US and CANADIAN Residents age 18 or over!!
How do I enter?
PLEASE follow directions!! Entering the giveaway is not hard – but if you do not complete the MANDATORY entry FIRST, your comments/entries will be deleted. If you have any questions about how to enter, please contact me…or just look at the comments above you and you will get the idea!
Just complete each of the following tasks and leave a comment for your entry(s)! Please leave one comment per task completed. (ie, if you do three of the following, you should leave three SEPARATE comments)
MANDATORY ENTRY – You MUST do this FIRST. If you do not do this, none of the other entries below will count and they WILL BE DELETED.
- Leave a comment below with the following “If I won a Literati from Crazy Coupon Mommy, I would use it to _________”
LOTS OF WAYS TO GET BONUS ENTRIES!! (This section is OPTIONAL and just a way for you to earn extra entries into the giveaway!)
Once you have completed the above mandatory entry, you can do as many of the below as you like for extra entries Good luck! Please leave one comment per task completed. (ie, if you do three of the following, you should leave three SEPARATE comments)
- Subscribe to Crazy Coupon Mommy via RSS Reader or email
- Follow CCM on Twitter
- Follow Literati on Twitter and tweet this message “If I won a @LiteratiReader on @Crazy_CouponMom, I would use it to _____” (fill in the blank). Leave a link to your status so this can be verified.
- “Like” CCM on Facebook
- “Like” Literati on Facebook and post this on their facebook wall “If I won a Literati on CrazyCouponMommy.com, I would use it to _____” (fill in the blank).
- Look at the Gold Box Deals here and then come back here and leave a comment below telling me what your favorite deal is. You can do this once daily for extra entries!
- Join NoMoreRack (enter code P1070 under Gift Cards in Your Account to get a free $10 credit too!)
- Join MyLikes
- Join ItsThoughtful.com (don’t forget to confirm by clicking the link in the email you get)
- Submit this giveaway to ANY online giveaway Linky (go here for a list. choose any site listed under what day today is.) and leave a link to where you listed it! Do this daily for unlimited extra entries!
- Share this giveaway on Facebook by clicking on the Share button on the pink toolbar you see at the bottom of your screen.
- “Like” this giveaway on Facebook by clicking on the “Like” button on the pink toolbar you see at the bottom of your screen.
- Enter any other open giveaway on my site and leave a comment saying which one you entered!
- Tweet about this giveaway (just click on the retweet button at the very top right corner of this page – all the way up at the top! You can do this daily for extra entries! Just leave a comment each day you complete this task)
- Become a public follower of Crazy Coupon Mommy (Scroll all the way down to bottom of this page and look for this button
- Share this giveaway on your blog (or if you don’t have a blog, share it on a forum you belong to (BabyCenter, WhatToExpect, Bump, etc) and leave a comment with a link to your post (this earns you 3 entries! Be sure to leave a separate comment for each!)
- Got a blog or webpage? Place my link button on your site and leave the URL of where I can see it.
***IMPORTANT*** You need to leave a separate comment for each of the above that you complete. Each comment acts as one entry, so if you only leave one comment saying “I did 1-3 above” then you’ll only get ONE entry instead of the 3 you deserve!
Contest will end 1/20/11 11:59pm PST. One winner will be chosen randomly via computer using “And the Winner is…” WordPress Plugin or Random.org. Winner will be notified by a blog post (so be sure to subscribe to my newsletter so that you don’t miss the winner announcement!). Winner must respond within 48 hours or another random winner will be chosen.
Many thanks to Sharper Image/Literati who provided me with product for the purpose of this review, as well as a prize package to giveaway to a randomly selected winner. I was not required to write a positive review and no other type of compensation was received. My reviews are always 100% honest and 100% my own.