For a while, I really regretted not having been more diligent in “baby wearing” with Whistler. I had heard so many great things about it and how babies just feel asleep instantly and how soothing and comforting it is for both mom and baby to be snuggled up together.
It’s not like I didn’t try. I did. Really. I have 7 different baby wearing contraptions lying around gathering dust to prove it.
I have the crazy long wrap (which is pretty neato, except that its so bulky to carry around, takes quite a bit of effort to get on and off and gets CRAZY hot), the simple flat square with 4 straps (that spread his little legs out so far that I felt like I was wearing a baby quartering torture device), a korean version my mom bought, a fairly standard big brand name sport type front or back carrier (that just absolutely killed my back and shoulders after only minutes of wear), a sling, a second type of wrap (less bulky but even more difficult to figure out and just as hot), and yet another standard back type carrier.
Each one had their faults and reasons why I just couldn’t use them – some didn’t have enough neck support, some were really inconvenient and took a miracle to get on and off, almost all got just too hot and was like a sauna for the poor little guy and all of them were horrible for my back and shoulders. And I’m not talking about lugging around a 35lb kid – I’m talking about a skinny 10 lb baby.
I actually CLEARLY remember a nice young lady in line behind me at the store while I was purchasing one of the aforementioned monsters who was wearing her large baby in a Classic BabyBjorn. The kid was passed out and I commented on how cute she was. The woman saw what I was buying and flat out said “Don’t buy that. You’ll totally regret it! I bought the exact same thing plus numerous other carriers and it wasn’t until I got this BabyBjorn that I was finally happy with one. It costs a lot more, but you won’t be sorry!”
I had found the carrier I was purchasing in the discount section and thought it was a steal at only $16.99 (down from $59.99) and politely thanked her for her advice, but was determined to buy my “deal”. After all, I am Crazy Coupon Mommy, right!??!
I can whole heartedly say now that I wish I had taken her advice! I never found the right “fit” for Whistler and I and I just couldn’t bring myself to pay the prices for a BabyBjorn so we went without. Oh how I wish I could have had the freedom of my hands AND a happy baby!
As Whistler got older (and not yet able to walk) it became clear that it would be convenient to be able to carry him in this manner while doing things like shopping. I once again went through my arsenal of carriers determined to make one or another work and to just bear through the pain. Thing was, going all this time without doing it, he hated it and just wouldn’t have any of it!
So when BabyBjorn said that I could review their Synergy Carrier, I was just delighted. (But also a little weary – after all, Whistler was now adept at putting up a fight about getting into one of these things.)
I had high hopes for the carrier though – it seemed to combined all the features I needed into one great carrier:
- * Suitable for newborns and up (8 lbs min – 26lbs max)
- * An airy, breathable 3D mesh that wicks moisture and heat away from you and your baby. It was developed specifically for BabyBjörn and consists of 100% polyester. (The textiles closest to the child have been tested and guaranteed harmless to children’s sensitive skin and will not trigger allergies!)
- * Lower back support that relieves pressure and creates stability.
- * Easy to put on and take off without assistance and all adjustments are easily made from the front.
- * Machine washable
- * Forward and backward facing carrying positions (on the front only)
When it arrived, we immediately gave it a test run. The carrier is very easy to figure out and put on by yourself (no second person needed). It is also very easy to place the baby in and all the adjustment straps on right in front so you don’t have to go twisting your arms about and turning in circles like a dog chasing his tail for some strap behind your back that you can’t see or reach.
Now I had some real reservations about this thing even working since Whistler by now was already walking and weighed about 17 lbs. I just dreaded the back and shoulder pain. We tried the face out position and I had him clicked in within about 2 minutes. He immediately sort of turned his head up and around to look at me, but he was smiling! His little arms and legs just dangled there but he was looking around and sitting very still.
As I began walking around the house, he just sort of giggled and hung out. He never once fussed or tried to get out or anything. I was shocked!!! I could actually wear him while doing chores and he was happy just to hang out and watch.
The back lumbar support is awesome and even though my back does eventually get weary, it’s not for about 20-30 minutes into wearing it. But that is to be expected as I’m only 115 lbs so carrying a 20lb sack is bound to get heavy sooner or later!
The mesh material is just as described and from all the time I have now used it (and believe me, I use it every chance I get!) it has never felt like it was too hot. Another great feature that is hard to find is that the material width at the crotch area is actually small – allowing the baby’s legs to hang down instead out stretched out to the sides.
This carrier has been a life saver for me, especially now that Whistler can run around. It’s so much easier to carry him this way in the store because he just won’t sit still in a shopping cart. I also use it just to go from the apartment to the car when I have a load to carry like groceries. I hate having to make a second trip and I can usually carry everything this way because my hands are free!
I have now turned into that woman that talked to me at the store that one day. I’m always telling new moms and soon-to-be moms to not waste their time with any other carrier. Just invest in a BabyBjorn from the get go and it will be well worth your while! The Synergy comes in black, white or dark blue and runs $169.99. (I did find it on Amazon for only $125!)
The wonderful people over at BabyBjorn would love to give one lucky Crazy Coupon Mommy or Sisterly Savings Reader the chance to win their very own Synergy Carrier!
How do I enter?
PLEASE read and follow directions!! Must be over 18 to enter. US residents only.
Just complete the one mandatory entry below that is highlighted in the blue box – that’s it!
MANDATORY ENTRY – You MUST at minimum do this 1 task to enter. If you do not do this, none of the bonus entries (if you choose to do them) will count and they WILL BE DELETED.
Leave a comment below letting me know what you liked best or found most informative about my review.
LOTS OF WAYS TO GET BONUS ENTRIES!! (This section is OPTIONAL and just a way for you to earn extra entries into the giveaway!)
Once you have completed the above mandatory entry, you can do as many of the below as you like for extra entries Good luck! Please leave one comment per task completed. (ie, if you do three of the following, you should leave three SEPARATE comments)
- Subscribe to Crazy Coupon Mommy via RSS Reader or email
- “Like” CCM on Facebook
- “Like” BabyBjorn on Facebook and be sure to thank them for hosting this giveaway :)
- Follow CCM on Twitter
- Follow BabyBjorn on Twitter
- Look at the Gold Box Deals here and then come back here and leave a comment below telling me what your favorite deal is. (You can do this once daily for extra entries!)
- Join NoMoreRack (enter code P1070 under Gift Cards in Your Account to get a free $10 credit too!)
- Join MyLikes
- Join ItsThoughtful.com (don’t forget to confirm by clicking the link in the email you get)
- Submit this giveaway to ANY online giveaway Linky (go here for a list. choose any site listed under what day today is.) and leave a link to where you listed it! (Do this daily for unlimited extra entries!)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook by clicking on the Share button on the pink toolbar you see at the bottom of your screen.
- “Like” this giveaway on Facebook by clicking on the “Like” button on the pink toolbar you see at the bottom of your screen.
- Enter any other open giveaway on my site and leave a comment saying which one you entered!
- Tweet about this giveaway (just click on the retweet button at the very top right corner of this page – all the way up at the top! (You can do this daily for extra entries! Just leave a comment each day you complete this task)
- Become a public follower of Crazy Coupon Mommy (Scroll all the way down to bottom of this page and look for this button
- Share this giveaway on your blog (or if you don’t have a blog, share it on a forum you belong to (BabyCenter, WhatToExpect, Bump, etc) and leave a comment with a link to your post (this earns you 3 entries! Be sure to leave a separate comment for each!)
- Got a blog or webpage? Place my link button on your site and leave the URL of where I can see it.
***IMPORTANT*** You need to leave a separate comment for each of the above that you complete. Each comment acts as one entry, so if you only leave one comment saying “I did 1-3 above” then you’ll only get ONE entry instead of the 3 you deserve!
Contest will end 1/23/2011 at 11:59pm PST. The winner will be chosen randomly via computer using “And the Winner is…” WordPress Plugin or Random.org. Winner will be notified by a blog post (so be sure to subscribe to my newsletter so that you don’t miss the winner announcement!). Winner must respond within 48 hours or another random winner will be chosen. Winner also must agree to submitting a video to CCM within 2 weeks after receiving their chosen bounce house.
Many thanks to BabyBjorn who provided me with product for the purpose of this review, as well as one to giveaway to a randomly selected winner. I was not required to write a positive review and no other type of compensation was received. My reviews are always 100% honest and 100% my own.